Friday 24 April 2015

Game Review #10 - A Game of Thrones: Iron From Ice - Telltale Games Month



Platform: Xbox One
Store Page: Xbox One Store
Price I Paid: £2.49

We're onto the final week of Telltale Games month and what better way to finish it off than with a game I bought because it was cheap and realised why it was so cheap. Like usual for Telltale games: SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS.

Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice is the first episodic installment of the new Telltale Game of Thrones game series. Much like Tales from the Borderlands, Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, this game is cell shaded and follows through on the choices you make. While you might be sick of the same cut and paste formula right now, Game of Thrones adds something new to the mix.

You have three characters to play as. We have Ethan, who is now the head of House Forrester. Garred, who was a servant to Lord Gregor Forrester and then we have Mira Forrester, who is in some sort of pickle with the future Queen and a short bloke with a beard, I think his name was Tyrian Lanister. Because it wouldn't be a Game of Thrones game without throwing in characters from the TV show to try and throw the canon of the show away.

Now, I must admit, I'm one of the people who doesn't like Game of Thrones, I'm sure it's very good, but I'm more of a comedy type person, not a beheading simulator with a Frodo Baggins lookalike from Lord of the Rings. I'm not saying the show is bad, I just couldn't get into it.

Garred is told to fetch more wine, even though all of the soldiers are getting drunk when there's a surprise attack, you have to quick time event and button mash your way out of that predicament and take a blokes sword when he dies. A touching scene, I'm sure. The one thing that bugged me about this bit was the fact that you had the choice to save him yet he doesn't bother coming with you anyways and makes his mind up there. That was the problem Walking Dead S2 had, choices that didn't matter or had little to no effect on the gameplay.

You're then switched over to Lord Ethan, a twelve year old boy that has now inherited House Forrester because his father was the bloke that refused to have his life saved after one too many arrows in the knee. But he has a lot of decisions to make, which was surprisingly enjoyable. I like simulators where I have to choose which is better for who, while there's always a negative, it's why I liked the Rebuild games so much, man if anything happens to this character then I wont be too happy. (foreshadowing)

Finally, we switch over to the other one, I can't remember her name. It's a bloody forgettable game and name. I'm not even going to bother mentioning it, the only part I can remember of her story is that Tyrian Lannister is there or whatever his name is.

Cell shaded graphics, the same concept as all the other games, you do get sick of playing the same game concept but with different slash of characters. Not to mention the forgettable storyline, the re-cast of many characters from the TV show for wow factor and the fact the most interesting character gets killed off...

A Game of Thrones: Iron From Ice gets a 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment