Wednesday 3 September 2014

Is It Worth Watching: The IT Crowd

The two frequent readers of my blog will probably know I enjoy games, books, movies, music etc...

But, please remember like always.

SPOILER ALERT

I especially like comedy, it's my favourite thing, especially when I actually wanted to become a stand up comedian for a few years. More of my humour is based on sarcasm, much like The IT Crowd.

The IT Crowd takes place in the basement of Reynholm Industries. A business that sells...well, we don't know. The basement is home to the industries IT Technicians Maurice Moss and Roy Trenneman. New employee Jen Barber is made the Relationship Manager of the Tech Support Team after she is hired by Denholm Reynholm.

I should just note that the casting for this is absolutely brilliant. You have Richard Ayoade, who is a geek in reality. Chris O'Dowd, who's sarcasm is some of the finest quality, almost as good as mine. Jen Barber is played by Katherine Parkinson, who is well known for her role in this show, along with Doc Martin and voicing some of the Worms Games. The final main cast member I'd like to talk about is Matt Berry. He plays Douglas Reynholm, son of Denholm. I have to say, Matt Berry's voice is absolutely amazing. I'll leave a link to a video displaying his best voices,

Anyways, I'm not going to spoil anything too major but I will spoil this:

None of the episodes link together, They do make little nods to each other, but the previous episodes never have any consequences. For example, Moss and Roy get arrested, next episode they're acting as if nothing happened. Scrubs however, my favourite show of all time and I adore it dearly, links each episode together seamlessly. I worship Scrubs for doing this but shun other shows like The Big Bang Theory for not linking them together. Don't get me wrong, they have a plot, but it's loosely threaded.

Another thing I don't like about the show is the character Richmond. He seems unnecessary and breaks the flow of the story. It doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of Noel Fielding's comedy as I find he just doesn't flow through it as good as others such as Frankie Boyle, Michael McIntyre and Russel Howard.

But, the question remains.

Is it worth watching?

Yes.

Matt Berry's Voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNc0ErvirBE

1 comment: