Tuesday 22 July 2014

The Problem with Xbox 360 Games With Gold

While it's great to see some older, fantastic Xbox 360 games come out for free such as Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2 along with some newer games like Battleblock Theatre and Hitman: Absolution. While it's awesome to see so many free games, it's a big problem for the Xbox 360 Hard Drive. I have a 250 GB Xbox 360 and never expected to fill it seen as though I prefer getting a physical copy of my games, but it's free so I download it. I'm now down to 70 GB and there are plenty more free games coming out. Free games are great, but NOT when they take up so much memory. 250 GB is a quarter of 1 TB (Terabyte) which is quite a large bit of memory.

The reason this is a problem is that downloading a game will take up a couple GB's of space, or in Hitman: Absolution's term 7.1 GB. Which is almost 10 GB for an OK game. However, if you have a physical copy of the game then it will probably only take up 1 or 2 MB after you do the standard update process. It's absurd, my friend has the same Xbox as me and is now down to 17 GB, he's going to buy an external hard drive and if it comes down to it I will have to as well.

Microsoft, while I appreciate the fact that you're giving away games for free, I don't appreciate how much space they're taking up. Maybe release some arcade classics like Doom, you released Charlie Murder for free and that was a great game! You did it for A World of Keflings, even though I all ready had it I'm sure many people appreciated that. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster title.

Another problem is that I own most of the games they're giving away for free. As a game collector, I like to buy lots of games. So I all ready have Halo 3, A World of Keflings, Fable III and Dead Rising 2. An alternative should be made, like a different game or some money on your Xbox account instead of waiting another two weeks for another free game.

No comments:

Post a Comment